Tradition has it that a yew tree at Chailey marks the spot of the exact centre of Sussex.
Drive by car on the surrounding roads and you find yourself one minute in East Sussex and the next in the west of the county.
William the Conqueror’s Domesday Book completed in 1086 records 148 corn mills in Sussex, all of them water mills. It would be another century and a half before the power of the wind was harnessed in England.
In Tudor times, timber preservation laws were brought in to stop the alarming loss of woodland caused by a rapidly expanding increase in house building.
People sought a way around the rules by re-using wood from demolished houses or old ships. However, it was clear that there were far more ships’ timbers being put to use than ever there could have been redundant ships to provide them. Work that out!
In 1897 a horse-drawn omnibus would leave from the Tiger Inn in Lindfield to make the twice-daily journey to Haywards Heath.
By 1907 there were six motor buses making the same journey charging a fare costing half that of the decade before.