THIS fine photograph, taken around 1920, shows the old Tabernacle Church adjacent to the Cliffe area of Lewes.
The stern edifice stood where the southern side of the town’s current hideous shopping centre is now.
Martin’s Garage - power petrol 1s/1d per gallon - is still largely intact and operated by Forfars.
The old railway viaduct across the road was only demolished shortly before the shopping centre was built.
In the distance can be seen the graceful tower of Fitzroy House, a jewel today in an otherwise bland crown.