PIC (please retain far right-hand part of pic)
The Bear Hotel was the focus of Cliffe life before the general area was incorporated into Lewes proper.
This photograph, taken about 1900, shows the Bear on the extreme right by the river.
It was established in 1787 and destroyed by fire in 1918.
At its height it boasted good stabling, horse and carriage hire, and ‘a first-class slate billiard table’.