THE old Lewes racecourse may have been defunct for nearly 50 years but the lonely Downland site still has its memories.
It closed in September, 1964, after 200 years action, and a colourful past including the gangland fight in 1936 that was immortalised in the novel and film Brighton Rock.
Despite the drama and the attraction, a handful of summer meetings was not enough to justify the track’s existence. Deemed inaccessible and exposed to the elements, which in turn affected crowds, closure was inevitable when the British Racing Board ended funding in 1963.
The grandstands have been converted into houses, but the gallops are still there. It is a fine area to walk past on the way to Mount Harry.
Which brings Rouser to the question of this photograph of a stableblock-cum-home in or near Lewes. Where is it? The picture, taken in the early 1900s, comes from the collection of the late Eddie Buck who was deputy editor of the Sussex Express until he died in the mid-1960s.
Somebody out there will have the answer.