A view across the duck pond towards St Lawrence Church in Falmer

Falmer Village
Falmer Village

THE CHURCH of St Lawrence in Falmer was built around 1817 by the Pelham family, but the village itself has its origins in Saxon times.

The name Falmer derives from Old English for fallow (pale-coloured) pond or it may mean Fala’s Mere, a pond belonging to Fala who could have been a Saxon chieftain.

During the 11th century it was variously spelled Falemela, Falemere or Felesmere.