Anglers saved from Newhaven breakwater by Lifeboat

editorial image

Tragedy was averted thanks to Newhaven Lifeboat when its volunteer crew helped rescue two fishermen stranded on Newhaven breakwater.

The two men are believed to have walked along the structure at low tide and were found on rocks just below the breaking waves on Saturday August 2.

Lifeboat crew worked with Newhaven Coastguard and East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service to lift the men up the face of the breakwater.

Deputy second coxswain Phill Corsi said: “The two casualties were very lucky that the conditions had not deteriorated further otherwise they could have been washed into the sea.

“We would always recommend that anyone using the beaches or other marine structures check the weather forecast and tide times before setting out as this incident could have turned into a tragedy.”

The lifeboat was launched at 4.15pm to reports of two people in the water on the west side of Newhaven’s main breakwater.

Newhaven Lifeboat said it was unclear how the pair made their way so far along the arm.

It was reported they had walked along at low tide, although there was a deflated dinghy very close to their position.

The lifeboat coxswain assessed the conditions which included one metre waves and a fresh south westerly breeze.

The decision was made that it would be safer to evacuate the pair up the breakwater wall rather than use the Y boat as there was a risk of causing injury to the anglers as a result of the submerged concrete blocks which protect the breakwater.

Newhaven Lifeboat agreed to standby with two of its crew in dry suits and the Y boat ready to be deployed.

The lifeboat acted as a safety boat for the anglers and the teams recovering them.

Newhaven Coastguards arrived at the scene shortly afterwards and lowered one of their team to assess the men.

The fire brigade were also called and working with the coastguard a ladder was rigged and secured.

A safety harness was then placed on one of the anglers and he was assisted up the face of the breakwater.

Shortly afterwards the second angler was evacuated from the rocks.