Campervan catches fire in Lewes

Firefigthers donned breathing apparatus to tackle a campervan fire in Lewes.

A crew was called out to the incident along the A26 in Malling Street on Saturday at 8.21am.

Firefighting foam was used to bring the blaze under control quickly and safely, preventing any further spread.

The environmentally friendly 1-in-7 foam has the ability to knock back flames six times faster than conventional methods but uses six times less water.

Watch Commander Dave Washington said: “The carriageway was closed for a short duration for the safety of the fire crew and other road users, until it was confirmed that the gas cylinder was out of the vehicle and the fire was under control.

“The fire was of accidental ignition from faulty electrical systems from within the campervan, which was being driven from Woodingdean. The driver and his dog escaped without injury and crews were on the scene for approximately 40 minutes.”