Child’s birthday presents destroyed by fire

Hailsham house fire which caused severe smoke damage to Lexi Young's birthday presents SUS-151020-143549001
Hailsham house fire which caused severe smoke damage to Lexi Young's birthday presents SUS-151020-143549001
4
Have your say

A young girl has been left without any birthday presents after her home caught fire yesterday afternoon (October 19).

Lexi Young – who turns six next week (October 27) – lost the presents along with most of her possessions to severe smoke damage after a fire started in the kitchen of her family home in Hailsham.

The accidental fire started at around 3.30pm while Lexi’s mum, Toni Young, collected her daughter from school.

Toni, 28, said, “None of us were here at the time but everything has been damaged by smoke, all our clothes and furniture, I’d just filled up the fridge and it has all turned black as well.

“My little boy is only 15 months old so he doesn’t really know any different but Lexi has taken it really well and is back in school today.”

The family are now staying with Toni’s mum while they find out if they can return to their flat on Brunel Drive.

Toni said “We were lucky really, not to have been caught in it. It could have been so much worse.”

The rest of the building was evacuated as three fire crews from Eastbourne, Hailsham, and Heathfield used breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and foam to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters confirmed the fire was accidental and used a pressure fan to ventilate the building.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display

3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.