Several locations in Wealden have been identified as potential waste recycling and recovery sites by East Sussex County Council to help eradicate the need for landfill in East Sussex.
The county council, along with Brighton and Hove City Council and the South Downs National Park Authority, have identified several potential areas across the county, and will be asking people to have their say on the area’s draft Waste and Minerals Sites Plan.
The plan, drawn up after a call for suggestions last year, identifies further potential recycling and recovery sites to meet the need for increased waste treatment capacity.
The sites identified as suitable for waste treatment activity include a site in Lower Dicker, and a site nearAmberstone Bridge in Hailsham. Areas identified which are ‘suitable in priniciple’ for waste treatment on previously developed land include Old Swan Lane industrial estate in Hailsham and Station Road industrial estate in Hailsham.
The council is also considering the extension of existing waste sites which have an adjoining site capable of supporting waste treatment works, such as Cophall Wood Waste Transfer Station in Polegate and Woodside depot in Polegate.
Sites in Uckfield, Rotherfield, Maresfield, Crowborough, Isfield and Horam are also being considered.
This includes 81.55 hectare land allocated to housing at West Uckfield (identified as an ‘Area of Search’) and 3.23 hectares next to the fire training centre at Maresfield Camp.
‘Mineral safeguarded’ sites - places with a known mineral resource and potential future economic use - have also been identified. These include Horam Brickworks (clay.) Under the ‘Previously Developed’ heading for potential use for concrete batching come Unit 19, Bell Lane and Coppard Plant Hire, Rotherfield. Other ‘Safeguarded’ sites are Boathouse Farm, Isfield; Hazelbank, Maresfield; Hazelmere, Three Cups Corner and Steel Cross, Crowborough.
At its meeting on Tuesday (June 3), the county council’s Cabinet approved, subject to endorsement by the city council and South Downs National Park Authority, publication of the draft plan for a nine-week consultation beginning in July.
The council said the last landfill site in East Sussex, at Pebsham, closed in November last year and only a small amount of material is sent to landfill sites out of the county.
The sites identified, none of which would be used for landfill, include specific waste sites and new development areas which could accommodate recycling and recovery facilities.
The council said existing facilities will be safeguarded and will continue to offer an important service during the plan period and beyond.
It said land currently used for waste management will usually be safeguarded against non-waste development. The council said sites on the proposal list were chosen to avoid impacting environmentally sensitive sites and none of them fall within the National Park.
Cllr Carl Maynard, lead member for transport and environment, said: “This document is about future planning of where additional facilities could be located and just because a site is listed as being suitable for a recycling or recovery site doesn’t necessarily mean it will be used for that purpose. Virtually no household waste now goes to landfill and the proposals in the plan would serve mostly commercial and industrial waste. Any development which does go forward would use modern, clean technology which would only have a minimal impact on its neighbours.
“The consultation will give people the chance to have their say on potential sites and their views will be taken into consideration when formulating the final plan.”
Go to: www.eastsussex.gov.uk/yourcouncil/about/committees/meetings/cabinet.htm