Dog walkers are being warned to be on the look out after a palm oil-like substance was found washed up on a Sussex beach this morning (Tuesday).
Palm oil – a whitish, waxy substance that smells like diesel – is often washed up by the tide and can make dogs sick if ingested and in extreme cases can prove fatal.
In a statement posted online today, a Newhaven Coastguard spokesman said: “We are seeing reports this morning of a substance which may be Palm Oil (or similar) on the beach in the Rottingdean and Saltdean areas.
“Any sightings should be reported to your local Council Environmental Health Officer.”
Dog owners are advised to keep their animals on a lead and make sure they keep well away from any deposits of the substance that wash up on beach in order to avoid this risk.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/
3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.