Explosion at home in Whitesmith

AN EXPLOSION rocked a home after a boiler overheated and exploded – causing fire engines, police and an ambulance to race to the scene.

It happened at 4.44pm in Broomham Lane in Whitesmith near Lewes on Friday, December 2.

Two fire engines from Uckfield and Hailsham were at the site and firefighters quickly discovered that a Rayburn Coal Fired Boiler had exploded.

Flames affected the two 10m-by-10m floors of the dwelling with a small fire in the utility room on the ground floor, according to East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to conquer the flames.

Police said two people suffered minor injuries – a fire spokeswoman later said one person was a 40 year old woman who had cuts and bruises but she was ‘conscious and breathing’.

Roads in the nearby vicinity were closed off for two hours whilst emergency services dealt with the incident.

Fire engines left the scene at 6.30pm. Police said the explosion was not being treated as suspicious.