Around 30,000 people turned out for this year’s Lewes Bonfire celebrations last night (Monday November 5).
The numbers were around half of last year’s turnout which saw 60,000 revellers turn out for the historic event.
Sussex Police and partner agencies worked throughout the evening to police the event, that saw a drop in the number of arrests and injuries.
The event’s police commander Superintendent Laurence Taylor said: “The Lewes Bonfire continues to be an incredibly popular event.
“At public events of this size there are always going to be incidents of criminal activity and anti-social behaviour.
“Fortunately we saw a significant drop in the number of firework-related injuries compared with last year.
“The policing of this event involves months of preparation, planning and consultation with the bonfire societies, the other emergency services and partners with the main aim being to help provide a safe environment for the participants and spectators on the night.
“Around 20,000 people travelled into Lewes by train and officers from both British Transport Police and Sussex Police were on hand to help manage the crowds and minimise the risk of injuries and damage to property.
“I would particularly like to thank the stewards who worked really hard along the processional route and made sure there were no crowd issues resulting in people being injured.”
South East Coast Ambulance Service and St John Ambulance treated 82 individuals, with seven people needing hospital treatment. None of the injuries were believed to be serious.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue reported a quiet night and were required to deal with five incidents, two of which were small rubbish fires.
A total of 15 arrests were made, nine of which were for throwing fireworks and others for public order and possession of drugs.
There were no serious incidents of violence or disorder which meant that arrest numbers were halved compared with last year.
Chief Superintendent Robin Smith, East Sussex Divisional Commander, said: “Once again, people have attended in their thousands to line the streets and take part in the Lewes bonfire celebrations.
“Given the large numbers we have seen attending; it has been a relatively peaceful and successful event with very few isolated incidents.
“I’d like to thank all the organisers, staff in our partner agencies and all the participants for striving to keep the public safe at this event.”