Family escape from candle fire drama

editorial image

A candle caused a fire at a house in Lewes in the early hours of Wednesday.

Three crews from Lewes and Barcombe were called out to North Way at 4.15am and remained until 5.30am.

Thankfully, the family had self-evacuated before crews had arrived and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and used a hose reel to extinguish the blaze.

The property suffered both smoke and fire damage and a woman had to be treated at the scene for breathing in smoke. Crew Commander Andy Watson warned of the dangers of unattended candles: He said: “The family had a lucky escape but there are some simple precautions that people can take to protect themselves.”

Visit www.esfrs.org/