Fire evacuation from Hailsham leisure centre

A SMALL ELECTRICAL FIRE caused a mass evacuation of staff and customers at Freedom Leisure Centre in Hailsham.

The fire erupted in the fan which inflates the bouncy castle used by children at the popular leisure site, on Monday, October 10.

One fire engine from Hailsham rushed to the scene at 1.13pm.

But a fire extinguisher had been used to put out the flames.

Firefighters left the scene at 1.26pm after carrying out various checks at the site.

A spokeswoman for Freedom Leisure said: “The incident was dealt with quickly by staff, the centre was evacuated and the fire brigade attended.

“The bouncy castle fan which caused the fire is less than 18 months old and had has been independently tested twice in this time.”

The spokeswoman added:“Freedom Leisure takes health and safety extremely seriously and the bouncy castle has been removed from soft play area until further notice.”