Fire fighters called to blaze by River Ouse in Newhaven

editorial image
0
Have your say

A dry reed bed on the River Ouse in Newhaven was found on fire by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service yesterday (Thursday April 30).

The blaze prompted fire fighters to urge people to put out cigarettes properly and only use barbecues in safe areas.

They were sent to Lewes Road at 5.23pm to 20 meters of dry reed bed which was on alight.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has this advice on how to prevent a fire in the open:

Sunlight shining through glass can start large fires - take glass bottles/jars home or put them in a waste or recycling bin.

Extinguish cigarettes and other smoking materials properly.

Only use barbecues in suitable and safe areas and never leave them unattended.

Ensure that your barbecue is fully extinguished and cold before disposing of the contents.

Only picnic in monitored areas.

Obey safety signs.

If you see anyone acting suspiciously and you suspect arson (deliberate fires) then contact Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111

What to do if a fire breaks out.

If a fire breaks out, call 999 immediately.

It can be hard to give the location for an open area so mention any landmarks, such as a public house or a church in the vicinity.

Do not attempt to put the fire out yourself unless it is very small. Grass and crop fire can travel very quickly and change direction without warning.