Historic buildings around Lewes and Wealden districts open to the public for special weekend

editorial image
0
Have your say

A MEDIEVAL dovecote, a toll house and the homes of famous authors will be amongst the fascinating buildings to open their doors in East Sussex as part of Heritage Open Days.

Unusual properties and private homes rarely open to the public, as well as some old favourites, will take part in the national scheme.

Here are just a few from the Lewes and Wealden Districts but of course historic and interesting buildings are open across the county from Thursday September 6 to Sunday September 9, including many more in Lewes.

Telscombe Village Club was built in 1924 and on Saturday September 8 there will be information on the historic downland village, as well as an art and craft exhibition.

Historic Telscombe Church will also be open with teas being served from 12 noon to 5pm in the village club.

The Dovecote, at The Lane, in Westdean will open from Saturday September 9 to Sunday September 9 from 10am to 4pm both days.

It dates from the 14th century and is now an RSPB site for Barn Owls.

The dovecote forms part of the medieval settlement of Westdean House, now pulled down except for the east wall and part of a Jacobean banqueting house.

Seaford Museum, at the Martello Tower, The Esplanade, will also take part.

It will open on Saturday September 8 from 2.30pm to 4.30pm and on Sunday Sunday September 9 from 11am to 4.30pm.

The Monk’s House at Rodmell, once home to novelist Virginia Woolf will open on Saturday September 8 and Bateman’s at Burwash, the former home of Rudyard Kipling will open on Saturday September 8 from 10am to 4.30pm.

The odd domed building next to Kingston Roundabout near Lewes will be open to the public too.

Ashcombe Toll House is the sole survivor of a pair that marked the beginning of the Brighton turnpike.

It was originally a store and shelter, while the partner-building on the north side of the road had accommodation for the turnpike keeper and his family.

It was built circa 1820. The road ceased to be a toll road in about 1870 and the larger Toll House was demolished in about 1868.

Opening times are September 8, 10am to 5pm and September 9 10am to 4.30pm.

To search for other events and full details visit http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk.