A soldier who was jailed for six years for strangling a woman and trying to rape her has had his appeal against his punishment thrown out.
Trevor Clark, now 22, was jailed at Lewes Crown Court in September last year after he was convicted of strangulation with intent to rape. He was also told he would be on licence for four years after his release.
Clark attacked his 18-year-old victim, who he did not know, in New Park Avenue, Bexhill, at 3.40am on August 19, 2012 as she walked from Bexhill railway station. He was arrested on Saturday August 25 and later charged.
At the time of his arrest Clark, who had completed his initial Army training, was stationed at Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire.
After the hearing, Detective Inspector Mark O’Brien said Clark had committed a “heinous crime”. Police also said he will now be on the sex offenders register for life.
Clark appealed unsuccessfully against his conviction and was refused leave to further appeal against that decision.
He subsequently appealed against the period of his extended licence. This has now also been rejected by the Court of Appeal.
Detective Sergeant Mick Burnage said: “Clark left his victim extremely traumatised after subjecting her to a terrifying ordeal.
“He then compounded this by making her relive it through a trial despite the overwhelming evidence against him. He has never shown any remorse for his actions and continues to be in denial.
“The decisions of the courts mean his victim can now be reassured that he will not be released anytime soon and will be closely monitored for several years once he does come out of prison.”