BIRDS have been injured by gunshots in the Cuckoo Trail near Polegate, according to Wealden Police.
Jackdaws, magpies and pigeons have all suffered from the shooting spree by persons unknown.
Trevor Weeks from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service, was extremely concerned about the incidents earlier this month, September.
Mr Weeks said: “Shooting birds is not normally a quick death, most of the casualties that are rescued are alive but badly injured and in some severe cases the injuries are horrific.
“A lot of birds have been shot with either a bb gun or an air rifle.
“If people have got a problem with birds then there are things that can be done for example there are many deterrents available so that the birds will not be harmed, shooting them is not a long term solution and weapons are causing unnecessary suffering.”
If you have any information regarding this incident, contact PCSO Hannah Parks on 07787 685751 or crimestoppers on 0500 555 111.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- VIDEO ‘Trevor the Seal’ pays a visit to Seaford beach
- Lewes to Uckfield rail link is moving further down the track
- Review: The Kite Runner, Brighton Festival, until Saturday May 25
- Bandit breaks back into Drusillas Zoo after three week ‘vacation’ in Alfriston area
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Lewes
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: West