IFORD Farm, Iford, was the venue for the 2012 Hedge Laying Competition organised by the Laughton and District Agricultural Society.
Hedge layers from far and wide braved the unusual heat for the time of year to compete in this annual competition.
Should you be travelling along the C7 between Lewes and Newhaven then near the village you will see the hedge that the competitors worked on. “The work produced by the 12 competitors was first class and these skills must be encouraged,” said Duncan Ellis, Chairman of the Society.
The award for Best Hedging of the Day went to Paul Matthews, from Redhill, with Bob Whittaker of South Godstone, coming a very close second.
Bob achieved the best work using an axe, whereas some of the other participants used a chain saw.
Mark Bentley produced the best piece of Hedge Laying done by a competitor residing in the Society’s area.
Best Piece of Hedging of One Year’s Growth (this is where the hedge was laid in 2011 and is judged for the best growth during the year) resulted in: 1st, Steve Mockford from Ringmer; 2nd, Mark Hudson from Ashford; 3rd, Mike Bentley from Halland.
- Lewes to Uckfield rail link is moving further down the track
- Bandit breaks back into Drusillas Zoo after three week ‘vacation’ in Alfriston area
- VIDEO ‘Trevor the Seal’ pays a visit to Seaford beach
- BREAKING NEWS: Polegate priest receives 10 year sentence for the “systematic” sexual assault of young boys and girls.
- Tomato ‘comes home’ to Plumpton after 70 year abscence
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Lewes
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 5 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North west