DCSIMG

Lucky escape as fire breaks out at Mayfield home

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service

Crews were called to a fire at a house at Lake Street, Mayfield, at 3.56am on Saturday (January 25).

Fire crews from Crowborough, Mayfield and Wadhurst were mobilised at 3.56am after smoke alarms woke the residents and a fire in the roof space was discovered.

Four adults and six children, who had been asleep inside, were able to make it to safety prior to the arrival of the fire service.

A fire engine from Crowborough was first on the scene, and a breathing apparatus team was quickly committed.

The fire was swiftly brought under control and the damage caused by the fire was confined to the roof space above the family bathroom.

One of the family dogs was also rescued by firefighters.

Crews left the property by 6am, with a crew returning at 9am to carry out a re-inspection and sheet up the roof.

It was determined that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault in an extractor fan above the family bathroom.

Crew Commander John Foskett, who was incident commander, said: “This incident has proved once again how valuable working smoke alarms are.

“Without them, this fire would no doubt have been far more serious.

“I would urge all members of the public to install smoke detectors and ensure that they check them on a regular basis in accordance to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Further details on home safety can be found at www.esfrs.org or you can call in at your local Community fire station.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page