Homeowners are being warned of the dangers of cooking with fat following a serious fire in Lewes.
Three crews were called to a bungalow in Kingston Road, Lewes, in the early hours of Sunday morning (February 3) at 3.03am, after reports of a kitchen fire.
The man, in his thirties, had contacted East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service after his dogs woke him up.
Eight firefighters entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and tackled the fire with a hose reel and firefighting foam.
Crew manager Andy Watson, said: “He did the right thing and got out and escaped through the window with his dog on to the path.
“This property was not fitted with a working smoke alarm but thankfully the man’s dogs woke him up.
“This incident highlights the importance of being extra careful when using chip pans, not leaving them unattended and ensuring that your property is fitted with smoke detectors.
“If this man had not been woken by his dogs the outcome of this incident could have been very different.
“The kitchen was affected by fire and the rest of the bungalow heavily smoke logged. The man was outside the property on arrival and the fire is being put down as accidental.
“It’s important to be aware that more than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking.
“Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.”
You need to be especially careful when you are deep-fat frying or cooking with oil because hot oil can catch fire easily.
Make sure you: don’t fill a chip pan or other deep-fat fryer more than one-third full of oil.
Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot.
- Lewes to Uckfield rail link is moving further down the track
- Bandit breaks back into Drusillas Zoo after three week ‘vacation’ in Alfriston area
- BREAKING NEWS: Polegate priest receives 10 year sentence for the “systematic” sexual assault of young boys and girls.
- UPDATE: A27 eastbound lane near Lewes now reopened
- Part of St Thomas a Becket Church in Lewes in danger of collapse
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Lewes
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: West