Thieves have stolen five large millstones from Jill windmill – the iconic partner of Jack – on Clayton Hill, near Ditchling.
The stones are 4ft in diameter and each weigh about half a ton. They are at least 100 years old.
A police spokesman said: “At least four people would probably have been needed to move each stone and a hedge was cut to enable them to drive them away.”
Anyone with information, or who saw suspicious activity since February 2, should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- Benefit fraudster to be sentenced
- VIDEO ‘Trevor the Seal’ pays a visit to Seaford beach
- Trevor gets the seal of approval from Seaford
- Review: The Kite Runner, Brighton Festival, until Saturday May 25
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Lewes
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: West