DCSIMG

More heavy rain and gale force winds expected in East Sussex

By Ron Hill

By Ron Hill

As East Sussex clears up the debris left by 80mph winds and heavy rainfall, the Met Office has issued another weather warning for Friday (December 27).

Thousands were left without power and trees strewn across some roads as wind and rain battered the county on Monday (December 23) and Tuesday (December 24).

Now The Met Office says there is more bad weather to come.

A spokesman said: “Gusts of 70-80 mph are possible especially in exposed parts of the west and south. Spells of heavy rain can also be expected, including areas that remain saturated from rainfall earlier in the week.

“The public should be aware of the potential for disruption, especially where the high winds are combined with heavy rainfall. Please watch for updates to this warning over the coming days, especially those who have travel plans.

Another exceptionally deep area of low pressure is expected to develop over the eastern Atlantic later on Thursday and track northeastwards close to western Britain through Friday. Associated strengthening winds are expected to increase to gale force in many areas and severe gale at times especially over exposed coasts and hills. Bands of heavy rain are also expected to affect many areas but particularly in the south and west, where a further 30 to 50 mm may fall.

“At this stage there is still some uncertainty over the detail and this warning will be updated in the coming days.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page