Visitors to Newhaven Lifeboat House on Friday (January 25) were greeted with warming soup and cheese rolls as it was the annual ‘Slurp Our Soup’ day.
Newhaven always marks the national RNLI ‘SOS’ fundraising day with a slurp of soup at its West Quay station.
It was a successful first fundraiser of the year for Newhaven and District Lifeboat Society, raising £302.72.
Hosting the event was mainly funded by Veolia Environmental Services, with the bread rolls being generously supplied by Graham Southgate of La Baguette Shop bakery in Newhaven.
Donations were also received from Sainsbury’s in Newhaven, Tesco in Lewes and Morrisons in Seaford for the purchase of raffle prizes, ensuring the event was supported by the whole district.
The lifeboat has already been called out numerous times so far this year.
The annual cost of maintaining the Newhaven Lifeboat is about £78,000.
The monies raised will contribute towards the on-going cost of the training and supply of the vital equipment required by the volunteer lifeboat crew to continue saving lives at sea, in rivers and on the waterways.
Please contact Paula and Graham Hillman, secretaries for Newhaven & District Lifeboat Society, at firstname.lastname@example.org for details of further fundraising events being organised.
- Lewes to Uckfield rail link is moving further down the track
- Bandit breaks back into Drusillas Zoo after three week ‘vacation’ in Alfriston area
- BREAKING NEWS: Polegate priest receives 10 year sentence for the “systematic” sexual assault of young boys and girls.
- UPDATE: A27 eastbound lane near Lewes now reopened
- Part of St Thomas a Becket Church in Lewes in danger of collapse
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Lewes
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 5 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: West