As the winter deepens and the cold weather becomes more regular residents are being warned to stay safe after a spate of chimney fires.
The warning by East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service firefighters follows three chimney fires on October 14.
The county’s fire service has attended more than 400 chimney fires in the past two years.
Firefighters are reminding people that if chimneys are not swept on a regular basis it could have detrimental results.
Historically, in East Sussex, the most common day for chimney fires is Sunday around 7pm.
Community Safety Manager Steve Wright said: “An open fire is an ideal way to keep warm this winter but without proper maintenance a chimney can become dangerous.
“In the last two years alone we have attended 420 incidents involving chimney fires.”
Chimneys should be swept to help prevent a fire and reduce the risk of dangerous fume emissions from blocked heating appliances, flue-ways and chimneys.
To find a National Association of Chimney Sweeps certified firm visit www.nacs.org.uk or www.guild-of-master-sweeps.co.uk. For safety advice visit www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/chimney.shtml
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Lewes
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: South
Temperature: 11 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: South west