A FRENCH chateau is the glamorous setting for one of the ‘Biggest Coffee Mornings in the World’ hosted by an Uckfield author and her husband.
Novelist Catherine Broughton is staging the coffee morning for fellow expats and French neighbours on behalf of cancer charity Macmillan Cancer Care.
She’s expecting about 150 guests. Catherine and her friends are providing cakes and sandwiches in the best British tradition, a bring and buy of foodie goodies and some of Catherine’s paintings will be auctioned for charity.
She told the Express: “I’ve always been a keen supporter of cancer charities. My mother-in-law has just been diagnosed with cancer in one lung and in her spine. This is a disease we can beat one day.”
Catherine and husband Bruce bought the property in 1995 when it has been for sale for 19 years and was on the point of collapse. Situated on the coast not far from La Rochelle it is now fully restored and makes a wonderful holiday home when the family are not in Uckfield.
This is the fifth fund-raiser Catherine has hosted in the property where most of her novels have been written while sitting under the vines.
- From the back pages, May 23: Chelsea in pole position to land £80m Ronaldo after former Real president Calderon dismisses United return
- Benefit fraudster to be sentenced
- VIDEO ‘Trevor the Seal’ pays a visit to Seaford beach
- Trevor gets the seal of approval from Seaford
- Review: The Kite Runner, Brighton Festival, until Saturday May 25
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Lewes
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: West