‘We are worried about rats now.’
That’s the concern of some residents in Wealden who claim they have still not had rubbish collected for the fourth week.
The Express reported last week how Wealden District council had launched a new joint waste scheme with Eastbourne, Wealden, Hastings and Rother under contractor Kier.
But the scheme ran into trouble in Wealden with some rubbish not being collected.
Wealden District Council said the problems stemmed from binmen trying to familarise themselves with new routes.
The council said collections are averaging 95 per cent with many missed properties being collected the next day.
Garden waste collections are averaging over 90 per cent.
A spokesman for the council said: “Kier has been concentrating on refuse and recycling collections as the new rounds settle in. We understand 95 per cent of these collections are now being successfully completed. This week Kier is putting more resources into green garden waste collections. I hope the residents Cllr Shing has spoken to will notice the difference. I am aware that there are a small number of residents who have gone a number of weeks without a collection. This is not good enough and in response to our concerns, Kier has carried out extra weekend collections. If these are still not proving successful, we need to know where the problem is. I’d like to thank the councillors for letting council staff know.”
The council is putting daily updates of catch up collections on its website at: http://www.wealden.gov.uk/Wealden/Recycling_and_Waste/New_Recycling_Services/Waste_What_Happens_Next.aspx
Check out our video about the situation in Alfriston.
For the whole story pick up your copy of the Hailsham Sussex Express today (Friday August 16).