Marking 50 years since Lewes races

0
Have your say

A grand parade will make its way through town on Sunday (September 14) to mark the 50th anniversary of the closure of Lewes Racecourse.

It features the Southdown and Eridge Hunt, making its way from Brooks Road to The White Hart Hotel, joined by a cavalcade of up to 100 vintage cars spanning 1910 to 1980.

Lewes Racecourse can trace its history back to 1727 and it was the fourth oldest course in Britain.

The parade to the racecourse site, also featuring the Pentacle Drummers and South Street Bonfire Society, gets underway at midday.

The Mayor and Mayoress of Lewes, Cllr Dr Micheal Turner and his wife Ann, will ride on a vintage coach with invited ‘Old Lewesians’ - residents over the age of 60.

On Race Hill there will be stalls and sideshows, the best of Sussex food and drink and commentary from the last day of racing at Lewes.

Entertainment will include songs from country singer Kathryn Anderson and Charleston dancing.

Special guest will be Bobby Elliott, the jockey who rode the last winning horse at Lewes in September 1964 - 7-1 shot Miss Rhondda.

Shuttle buses will run to the site from Nevill Crescent and between Race Hill, Lewes Bus Station and the Post Office.

Before the parade there will be the chance to have a more leisurely look at the vintage and classic cars at the Corporation Wharf car park, North Street, from 9.30am-11.30am.

The White Hart Hotel is tomorrow (Saturday) hosting a free exhibition of racecourse memorabilia, 10am to 5pm.