Motorists to face five weeks of traffic chaos

Kings Drive Roadworks SUS-140922-153121001
Kings Drive Roadworks SUS-140922-153121001

Motorists are being warned about long delays on one of the busiest roads in and out of Eastbourne as roadworks began there yesterday (Monday) for five weeks.

Kings Drive, which already suffers traffic congestion, will have temporary two way lights as a new access road and pelican crossing are installed south of the Rodmill and District General Hospital roundabout. The new crossing is being put in as part of the controversial Meadows View development on the field off Kings Drive where Bovis Homes are building almost 120 homes.

Giant electronic signs have been put in place on approach roads in recent weeks warning drivers of the roadworks taking place. There will be two way temporary lights which will be manually controlled between 7am and 7pm seven days a week.

Archaeology work started at Kings Drive earlier in the summer ahead of the construction of 119 new homes getting underway.

An East Sussex County Council spokesman said, “The work currently underway in Kings Drive is the highways scheme being installed by the developer, Bovis, as a condition of their scheme to build almost 120 new homes on this site.

“The work will create an access road to the new development and will include widening the road to provide a right turn into the site, improving bus stops and providing a new pelican crossing. The developer has erected advance warning signs to alert people to the works. Two-way traffic lights are currently in place but it is anticipated that these will be used as and when required and not for the full five-week period for the works.”

A Bovis spokesperson said, “We’re committed to working closely with the community as this development takes shape and as part of the planning agreement we are contributing almost £400,000 to local education and transport.”