Maria Caulfield MP has raised concerns with Sussex Police about a group of travellers moving onto a site in Plumpton.
The Lewes MP said the travellers set up on a former quarry in the area on Wednesday evening (May 10). It is understood they have no immediate intention to move on.
Ms Caulfield said: “This is a concern that I am taking very seriously. I understand that the land that is currently occupied by the travellers is private, with the gateway having always been locked previously.
“Residents have rightly raised their concerns relating to this issue, and I am very pleased the police have taken swift action.
“However, with the site being privately owned, the task of moving an illegal camp on is more difficult, but both East Sussex County Council and the police are doing their best to ensure the situation is resolved.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/
3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.