Concern after mobile charger plug goes bang

The charred plug of the lead bought to charge a Samsung S5. ANL-160922-173428001
The charred plug of the lead bought to charge a Samsung S5. ANL-160922-173428001

An 18-year-old woman had a terrifying ordeal after being awoken when the plug of her mobile phone battery charger went bang in the night.

“I had been asleep and was awoken to see a flash of light and I could smell smoke,” said Kelly Wood from Skegness. “It lit up the whole room and really shocked me. The charred plug of the lead bought to charge a Samsung S5. ANL-160922-173449001.

“When I looked at the plug it was black. Luckily the extension lead is a safety one and cut out the electrics and everything else or it could have been a lot worse.

“I did get a full refund and I’m not blaming the shop but this is an eye opener.”

Earlier this month Samsung ordered a recall of 2.5 million Note 7 devices after reports of them catching fire during charging.

In one incident, a Florida man had his mobile plugged into his truck dashboard and just managed to stop his eight-year-old daughter getting into the vehicle when he spotted it was in flames.

A spokesman for Samsung said: “Samsung takes customer queries extremely seriously and enquiries are investigated and dealt with on a case by case basis.

“This issue is currently being investigated and our customer services team will be in contact with the customer regarding the matter.”