People donate to fire victims in Polegate

Polegate fire.
Polegate fire.
0
Have your say

The owners of a mini traveling zoo in Polegate which was destroyed by a blaze last week said people have been ‘amazing’ and donated clothes and other items in their droves.

The family had to move into a caravan on site after their home - the Old Thatched Cottage on the A22 Hailsham Road - was badly damaged by fire.

The family own Animal Magic and are asking people who made a booking to get in touch urgently.

They are also appealing for a Portaloo as they are currently living in a caravan on site.

Lyndsey Parker said: “People have been marvellous and donated clothes and other items but we desperately need a Portaloo as there isn’t one on site.”

Lyndsey said despite the blaze it is business as usual for Animal Magic and urged anyone who made bookings to contact them as the bookings diary and computer were all destroyed in the blaze.

She said: “The last thing we want to do is let anyone down who made bookings with us.

“All the animals and pets are safe and we will endeavour to honour all our bookings.”

Animal Magic is a mobile petting zoo for children of all ages which travels to venues and events with a selection of animals.

Firefighters were called to the Thatched Cottage on the southbound stretch of the A22 at 6.21pm on Wednesday (February 11).

During the incident, crews from Hailsham, Eastbourne, Forest Row, Uckfield, Herstmonceux, Seaford, Bexhill, Heathfield and Lewes attended the scene, close to the popular K2 Indian restaurant on the southbound stretch of the busy main road.

Firefighters battled through the night to control the blaze and remained at the scene until 11am on Thursday morning (February 12).

Although the home suffered very serious damage, no-one was hurt in the fire, which was accidental.

A spokesman for the fire service said it is thought the blaze was caused by a spark igniting a thatched roof.

The A22 southbound was closed by the police and Highways Agency for several hours during the incident.

The Red Cross Fire Victim Support Unit attended to offer assistance to the occupiers and looked after crew welfare.

If you have made a booking and would like to contact Animal Magic log on to their website at http://www.animal-magic.co.uk/