Polegate rape claim woman died

A YOUNG woman who claimed she was raped by two men in a layby on busy main road is believed to have taken her own life in another part of the country.

An appeal for witnesses hit the Sussex Express headlines after the woman in her 20s, who will not be named by police, said she was walking along the A27 Polegate bypass when she was allegedly stopped by two men in a black saloon car in a lay-by and attacked around 5.30pm on November 28 last year, 2010.

Police said the woman sadly died in February this year.

A police spokesman said: “I understand that she may have taken her own life in Buckinghamshire, but this was not connected with the Sussex case.”