Kind-hearted residents in Seaford have clubbed together to help a family after their home was gutted in a blaze.
The fire broke out in the early hours of Sunday morning (December 14) in Vale Road.
Among the offers of help were residents Lee Roberts and Carl Neale. They are currently running a campaign to help the homeless. When they heard about the house fire they did not hesitate in setting about asking people to donate vouchers so the family can replace their lost items.
Lee said a father and daughter live in the property.
He said: “So far we have £60 worth in just two days and we spent £50 on Christmas presents out of our own money. We met the home owner and he’s in a mess but is getting through it. I’m just trying to do my bit for the community.”
Lee said donations must be in the form of vouchers as the organisation is not a registered charity.
Seaford Town councillor Sarah McStravick, said she was pleased to see residents coming together to help the family. “It is devastating to have any fire, especially at this time of year. Any member of the Seaford community would reach out and want to help and support them.”
An investigation into the fire is now underway.
One woman in her 60s was treated at the scene for shock after the blaze.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to the scene at 4.53am. Crews found a severe fire on the ground floor of the two-storey property. Firefighters from Seaford, Newhaven, Eastbourne, and Battle attended, along with the aerial ladder platform from Preston Circus and the Command Unit from Lewes. Firefighters used breathing apparatus, a hose reel and three main jets to tackle the fire.
Police, ambulance and building control were also on hand.
The house has been completely gutted by the blaze. The front windows are missing and several slate tiles from the front of the building have fallen and lay in the front garden. The road was closed by Sussex Police as crews tackled the fire. It meant buses were unable to serve the Chyngton Estate.
Lee and Carl are running a fundraising day for their campaign - Help the Homeless - Treats in the Streets, on Monday (December 22) at Seaford Methodist Church in Chyngton from 11am to 3pm. From the money raised they will put together back packs full of the basics homeless people need to survive. For more information about the campaign, or to contact Lee to donate to the family involved in the fire, search for Treats in the Streets on Facebook.