Safety advice after candle fire in Barcombe

Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.
0
Have your say

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has issued advice on managing open flames in the home after people were treated for wax burns following a candle fire in Barcombe this afternoon (Thursday, March 24).

Firefighters were called to Church Road shortly after 2pm to reports of a candle fire.

While the flames were out on arrival, the occupants were treated for minor wax burns.

As a result, the fire service has reiterated its safety advice regarding candles, decorations and decorative lights.

It states candles are best placed on a heat-resistant surface, in a proper candle holder so they don’t fall over, out of the reach of children and pets, out of draughts and away from curtains, other fabrics or furniture which could catch fire, with at least one metre between the candle and any surface above it, with at least 10 centimetres between any two candles and away from clothes and hair.

People are reminded to make sure they put out candles before moving them and don’t let anything fall into the hot wax, like matchsticks.

For more information, visit www.esfrs.org/your-safety/fire-safety-at-home/candles-decorative-lights-decorations.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/

3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.