Seaford Kitchen fire prompts advice from fire fighters

0
Have your say

FIRE fighters were called to an electrical fire in a Seaford kitchen on Sunday January 8.

Newhaven and Seaford crews were sent to Badgers Copse at 10.50am following reports of a fire in an electrical socket.

The small fire was already out on arrival but firefighters were able to offer safety advice at the incident, as well as isolating the electrics at the home.

Head of community safety Steve Wright said: “Faulty or misused electrical products have the potential to cause serious fires.

“However, individuals can take steps to help themselves by checking that the electrical equipment they use every day is in good working order and is operated properly.”

Advice from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service included:

Don’t overload plug sockets

Regularly check for worn or frayed wires

Unplug appliances when not in use

Keep appliances clean and in good working order

Consider using an RCD - Residual Current Device - which works like a circuit breaker to protect against electric shocks and reduces the risk of electrical fires.