Seeing the funny side of call to pigeon trapped in Aga flue

editorial image
0
Have your say

We have had yet another busy week of call-outs, including two baby bats. These are the first ones we have dealt with this year.

One was found in Seaford centre and handed in at Beachwood Vets, and the second was at Ringmer near the Community College, both are thought to be baby serotine bats.

They were transported to Jacky from the Sussex Bat Group in Eastbourne and Jenny Clark and her Bat Hospital at Forest Row. It is hoped both of them will be able to be reunited with their parents, but this is not always easy to do. To find out more about bats in Sussex visit the Sussex Bat Groups website www.sussexbatgroup.org.uk.

We have a little 99g young hoglet come into care after being attacked by a terrier. The poor creature has a number of puncture wounds and is with WRAS carer Monica.

We had a call out to a pigeon trapped in a disused flue pipe in a kitchen at Boreham Street, between Hailsham and Bexhill one evening last week. An ordinary call-out turned out to be rather bizarre! The saga begins with a phone call at 7.30pm from a very worried lady about a poor pigeon who was very stressed and trapped inside her old Aga flue, that is no longer in used, for two days.

We arrive at an old Sussex style house, lots of nooks and crannies, and are led to the kitchen, where the flue runs from the ceiling to halfway down the wall ending at a wooden shelf. We hear a noise and initially think there is a bird trapped. We look from the outside and the flue has a spinning cap and couldn’t see how a pigeon could get inside which was puzzling us.

We erect a ladder across the width of the kitchen and I climb up with screwdriver to start to take shelf apart. The longer the rescue goes on the more Kathy and I started to think the noise is not a bird, but more like a water pipe or something mechanical.

I eventually managed to force the shelf away from the flue and look up inside and nothing, the flue is completely empty. The lady is shocked in disbelief now wondering where the bird could be.

Still not convinced, the lady asks if we could check the loft and other possible places where a bird might get stuck. Eventually, after going round the house trying not to disturb her sleeping children, we look everywhere. We go back to the kitchen to listen again, where the noise starts again, and the lady says “he is still here, where can it be?’ Kathy and I slowly listen round the kitchen and eventually realise the noise is coming from the back of the fridge - it is the fridge!

I pull it away from the wall and the lady listens and realises that after all the noise is coming from the fridge where she tells us :“We’ve only had the fridge for 2 days”. I think she has a lot of explaining to do to her husband and the people in the pub opposite who knew why we were there. So the hour long rescue turned out to be the noise from a fridge! We all saw the funny side of the call-out and just burst out laughing!

We had yet another shot gull in this week. This one was in the Chesterton Drive area of Seaford. The bullet caused a lot of internal damaged and the bird had to be rushed to the emergency vets and an x-ray shows the bullet lodged on the spine and sadly had to be put to sleep. Being out of hours this incident will have cost WRAS over £150 to deal with due to the expensive out of hours veterinary fees, but we had no choice as the poor birds suffering could not be left till the morning.

You may remember last year we had a number of starlings trapped inside fat ball feeders. We have had yet another case this week, this time at Langney.

Thank you to everyone who came to the open garden and Studio Eleven Art Exhibition.