Serious crash on day road petition actioned

0
Have your say

A CRASH on the C7 near Rodmell left two drivers seriously injured on Friday - the day two petitions were handed in calling for road safety measures.

A silver Vauxhall Corsa, travelling south at Northease and a silver Skoda Octavia, travelling north, were in collision at 11pm.

The Octavia driver, a 56-year-old man from Peacehaven, suffered serious injuries that were initially feared to be life-threatening.

But on Sunday he was described as awake and stable at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

A 48-year-old man from Seaford, who was driving the Corsa, was also taken to the hospital and was recovering on Sunday.

Firefighters and a police helicopter used thermal imaging equipment in a bid to find another person who was reported to have been in one of the cars, but this later proved to be incorrect.

The road was closed while rescue and recovery work took place and reopened around 5.45am.

Earlier on Friday petitions calling for speed limits from Bell Lane mini-roundabout in Lewes southwards and a ban on Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) – except loading/unloading – by size and weight on the northern section from Lewes Prison to Wellgreen Lane were submitted to East Sussex County Council.

The petitions cover the route from the Prison Crossroads in Lewes, along Kingston Road to Swanborough Hollow.

The scenic route following the western side of the Ouse valley is blighted by high volumes of (often) speeding traffic, especially in the morning and evening rush hours.

Both petitions, launched by Liz Waters, closed on Thursday and were presented to the chairman of East Sussex County Council before the next full council meeting the following day.

“The C7 continues to be a dangerous local route and excessive speeding is often the cause,” she said.

“There have been three significant crashes while the petition was being prepared and submitted, two on Kingston Road and one in Northease on the Newhaven Road section.

“The most recent was on July 20 (the day the petitions were presented to the county council) was also the more serious.

“The earlier two in June both involved cars forced off the road through the adjacent fences, hedges and fields, one flattening the 40mph road sign. “Families living on the route continue to be very concerned about the speeding traffic and the absence of safe and continuous pavement, especially in the Kingston road residential area and past the entrance to Owlswick School in Newhaven Road.”

Rodmell Parish Council chairman Paul Denerley said “Traffic speed remains a signficant concern for residents which has been put into more focus by another serious accident at the weekend,” he said

Witnesses should call police on 101 quoting Operation Conger.