UPDATE: Eight illegal immigrants arrested in Newhaven

SUS-150518-125118001
SUS-150518-125118001

UK Border Force officials have confirmed eight illegal immigrants were arrested in Newhaven last week.

Sussex Police were called to Newhaven Port shortly before 9am on Wednesday, April 20 after reports that people believed to be illegal immigrants had disembarked.

A search was made of the area and eight men, at least some of whom had dispersed in local roads, were located and detained before being handed over to immigration officials. At least four of the men were aged in their 20s.

A Newhaven resident, who did not wish to be named, said one man was arrested from the back garden of a house in Second Avenue.

A spokesperson from the UK Border Force said: “Border Force officers and Sussex Police attended an incident at Newhaven port on Wednesday, April 20 at about 9.30am.

“Eight Albanian men were arrested for entering the UK illegally and have now been removed from the country.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/

3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.