Vibrating mattress sparks Ringmer fire

Fire news
Fire news
0
Have your say

Firefighters have issued a safety warning after a vibrating foam mattress sparked a fire in Ringmer at the weekend.

Two crews, from Lewes and Barcombe fire stations, were called to Little Paddock in Ringmer at around 8.52pm on Saturday (October 8) after an elderly woman reported a fire in her home.

After arriving at the scene, firefighters wearing breathing equipment used a hose reel jet to tackle the fire.

Following the incident watch manager Andy Watson said: “The fire was started after a massage mattress was left on, causing the mattress to ignite from its core and smoulder, causing acrid smoke to be emitted.

“Thankfully, the occupier was not in bed at the time and a fitted smoke alarm alerted the elderly occupant to the fire, who then contacted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.

“Oxygen therapy was administered at the scene to the elderly lady, who was then taken to hospital, as a precautionary measure after breathing in smoke.”

Crews then carried out a safety check at the surrounding houses to alert them to the incident before leaving the scene.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/

3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.