It was supposed to be a simple Valentines gesture, but a bunch of lilies has left a Hailsham woman heartbroken after three of her cats died.
Heartbroken mum Sonia Barnett believes her cats died after coming into contact with the white blooms she received for Valentine’s Day.
It has led her to issue a stark warning about the dangers of lilies which can be fatal to cats if they ingest the potentially poisonous flower.
The Hailsham pet lover now faces a £1,000 vets bill after rushing her moggies Tinker and Garfy for medical help after they collapsed.
Both the one-year-old and 17-year-old felines died days following February 14. Her third cat Charlie, the mother of four young kittens, died this week after it had suffered the same symptoms.
Miss Barnett, who lives in Mortain Park, Hailsham, is now warning people to be aware of the dangers of lilies in the run up to Mother’s Day. She is also calling for supermarkets and florists to place warnings on packaging when selling the flowers.
The heartbroken mum has already been to supermarkets in the area about the issue and said she was told they would look into the matter.
The 40-year-old, who has one other cat, Sparky, said: “Because of Mother’s Day coming up and people receiving flowers I want to warn people about lilies. If I can save one cat’s life I will. I’ve spoken to a flower arranger who has had cats for 20 years who didn’t know lilies were dangerous. I think there should be warnings about it.
“There’s no warning in any shops and with Mother’s Day coming up I need this danger highlighted. I want to go into every shop and take the lilies and stamp on them.”
For full story pick up a copy of the Hailsham edition of the Sussex Express this Friday.