Uckfield firecrews have been administering oxygen, washing cars, advising on safety, extinguishing out-of-control bonfires and even playing stoolball.
At 1pm on September 18 two town crews were sent to a kitchen fire in Isfield. They found that the occupier of the house had put out the fire in a chip pan but he had breathed in a large amount of smoke and firefighters gave him oxygen while they waited for an ambulance.
At 8.50am on September 22 two crews were sent to a ‘persons reported’ fire call at a flat in Selby Road when neighbours heard a smoke detector and could also smell smoke. However, nobody was involved as crews found that the occupier had gone out and left the oven on.
While instincts may take over to deal with a fire, ESFRS teams say the heat should be turned off if it’s safe to do so, the door closed and people should call 999. More advice can be found at cooking safety home visits. These are always available across the local communities. Visits include free fitting of smoke alarms where required and are undertaken by firefighters from your local fire station. Sixteen visits have been carried out in September by station personnel. For free home safety advice ring 0800 177 7069 .
Other activity for the Uckfield firefighters in the last fortnight included being called to put out a large, unattended bonfire on the site of the former nursing home, Ridgewood Manor. On September 25 some supported the national four-hour strike.
While contingency fire appliances were available in the area, no emergency calls were received for the local during the afternoon.
On September 27 Uckfield’s bulk water carrier was called to a serious roof fire at a large house in Wadhurst. The crew worked to support 35 firefighters. At 8pm on Saturday, one crew used Environment Agency equipment to clean up petrol spill from a car at Chelwood Gate.
Crews from the town have provided cover at Crowborough and Lewes several times in the last fortnight due to the lack of available retained duty system people there. They’ve also dealt with fire alarms sounding in Uckfield, Newick, Halland, Nutley and Danehill.
Teams ran their popular car wash service on September 14, raising £147.61 for the Firefighters’ Charity. And on September 22 they rolled up their sleeves and took part in a stoolball tournament at Buxted Park.
Six teams competed with Uckfield winning their own tournament by beating Wivelsfield Stoolball Club to lift the trophy raising £200 which was split between the Firefighters’ Charity and the Barcombe Youth Club.