Data used by anti-fracking campaigners is out of date

4
Have your say

Andrew Durling (letters, December 28) says that he hopes the coming debate about the Polegate wind farm will be based on actual facts about wind power so let’s start.

All renewables supply 10 per cent of our electricity of which wind power contributes 6 per cent not “about 10 per cent”.

Wind turbine supply is intermittent. That is they cannot be guaranteed to supply power at quantity when needed. No matter how many wind farms, wind below 15mph means no electricity.

Generated AC (alternated current) cannot be stored. As a result wind power needs 90 per cent back up from gas fired power station – this has been admitted by Renewable UK.

If wind power was not heavily subsidised for 25 years, at the cost to the customers through our bills, there would be no more wind farms on or offshore, certainly not in Polegate.

Now Keith Taylor MEP joins the fray on shale gas fracking.

Anti-fracking campaigners quote early US problems mostly based on old heavily biased propaganda films.

Any fracking projects will be subjected to stringent UK regulations and will use tried and tested drilling practice.

The drilling passes through the water aquifer and through three strata of rock to between 8,000 and 10,000 feet. As the hole is bored, it is lined with a continuous steel casing and finally the space between the casing and the hole is filled with concrete so the threat to soil and water pollution is catered for.

Water is only used during the fracking procedure.

Once the well is producing, no water is needed, so our “stretched water resources” won’t be threatened.

The fraking fluid is made up of water with a small quantity of sand.This accounts for 99.7 per cent of volume the remaining 0.3 per cent consists of a biocide anti bacteria growth, a friction reducer and sometimes hydrochloric acid.

When the well is producing, the wellhead is about 10 feet high and the gas fed by a buried pipeline so the visual impact is minimal compared to 400- foot turbines with associated transmission towers.

The pragmatic French can easily ban fracking as they have built nuclear power stations to ensure an adequate supply and even export to the UK if needed. Meanwhile the Germans have started building coal fired stations and plan up to 23.

May I suggest that it’s a good idea to see what the other side have to say, and that they and readers look at the Cuadrilla web-site.

Brian Beck

Lewes