Seaford Town’s short unbeaten run comes to end in 2-1 defeat at Rustington

SEAFORD Town’s short unbeaten run came to an end on Saturday when hosts Rustington came from behind to secure a 2-1 victory.

Mick Richards was forced to make a number of changes to the side that had won at Storrington the previous week, with Rafa Ciupinski being unavailable and James McKenzie suspended – which meant James Webber slotted in at left back, with Harry Mills coming straight back in after missing the last two games.

Scott Dartnall also replaced James McDonnell up front as Richards looked to go for the win that would lift his side even clearer of the danger zone.

They had a great start as well, through Mills after just three minutes. The ball was played in to John Summerbell just outside the box and he quickly laid it off to Dartnall on the right. He beat two defenders on the outside before pulling it inside to Mills and he fired his shot across the keeper and into the far corner.

Mills was enjoying his return to the side and he showed his strength when he won the ball on the right and rounded a couple of defenders.

But as he lost his balance he chose to shoot instead of laying the ball off for Dartnall, and the ball went well wide.

The visitors were enjoying a lot of the ball in the early stages, with Rustington unable to get into the game – but that changed in the 16th minute when they were gifted an own goal thanks to some indecision at the back.

Tom Porter went up for a long ball down the middle but the ball just glanced off his head, and when Ben Barnett headed the ball back to Sheldon Levett he was horrified to see the keeper well off his line and the ball flew over his head and bounced over the line.

Dan Bateman then fired inches wide for Town after some good work by Summerbell but they were unable to find another way through as the game went into the interval.

After the break Levett did well to deny Heater on the hour when he managed to turn his long range effort round the post, despite being unsighted by a crowd of players in front of him, but he will have been disappointed a few minutes later when a speculative shot by Danny Cooper from almost 40 yards somehow found its way inside his near post to give Rustington the lead.

The hosts survived a massive scramble inside their area, and a Dartnall snapshot in stoppage time flew straight at the keeper to deny Town a much needed point. While results went well for Seaford, with none of the bottom sides playing picking up any points, anything Town can get at the moment would be most welcome.

This Saturday Seaford Town entertain relegation rivals Oakwood at the Crouch, their final home game of the season and the club is offering free admission in an attempt to attract a large crowd to cheer them on.

TOWN: Levett, Pooley, Webber (Norman), Morton, Barenett, Porter, Mills (McCann), Lee, Summerbell, Bateman, Dartnall.