Weald record great win over Chichester


Weald’s first team banked a very good 4-1 win over Chichester 1, dropping a single point as Julian Drage steadily made his way to a straight games win as did Mark Pearson once he had warmed up in the first, saving the game ball on a tie-break.

Progress slowed as Joe Mack had a luck-lustre start, losing the first two games before putting together a better game plan and covering the court to pull the match back, winning 3-2, while Sam Hanbury battled away in two very close games. Eventually, Sam pulled ahead in the third and fourth, finding good length shots to win in four.

After losing the first, Mark Wheeler tightened up his game with good shots down the walls and tactical volleys to win the next two, but unfortunately was in turn put under pressure and, struggling to cover the court in the long rallies, lost out in the decider, 2-3.

However, it was a different story for the third team who struggled to make headway in their division, losing out to Dunnings 3, 2-3, in a close match. Recovering from the loss of the first on the tie-break, Ben Nelson made short work of the next three games to win 3-1, and Conrad Thompson dominated play except for a wobble of concentration in the second to also win 3-1.

The upper orders of the team suffered against the strong opposition as Dave Jump and Stephen Chinn uncharacteristically failed to win a game, while Bob Brimfield grabbed the third but was out-played to finish 1-3.

In their match against Crawley 2, the thirds finished 1-4 despite two close strings with Trevor Morgan struggling to finish off a good two game lead and then a match point in the fourth before losing the decider, and Ben Nelson running out of legs after a two game lead to also finish 2-3. Bob Brimfield suffered under the relentless shots of his opponent in three, and Stephen Chinn chased down a single game in his 1-3 result.

The only winner on the night, 3-1, was Dave Jump with his unorthodox drop shot game paying dividends.