Seaford come away with a draw at Heathfield

Callum Scott
Callum Scott

Seaford 1s travelled to Heathfield Park, keen to right the wrongs from last weeks poor performance at home to Buxted Park.

On what looked like a good wicket to bat on, Heathfield Park won the toss and duly elected to bat.

Ollie Smith

Ollie Smith

Seaford’s bowling and fielding performance started well, as they gave very little away. This hard work was rewarded in the 11th over when Tim Goddard made the breakthrough removing Simon Gayton (12) with the score on 24, and ten tight overs later the second wicket came when John P Smith had Callum Matthews caught at backward point for 21, leaving Heathfield Park at 46-2. This brought the Heathfield skipper Ian Long to the wicket, who from the off looked to attack the Seaford bowling. In a partnership of exactly 100, the pair of Long and Christian Hart set upon any loose bowling to great effect. Long’s powerful innings of 59 which included 9 fours and 2 sixes came to an end in the 38th over when he was caught at cover off of the bowling of Mitchell Backhouse. However despite losing his partner Hart continued on, playing his shots freely. It was not until the 45th over when Hart was bowled for a well made 60 leaving Heathfield Park on 183-4 with 5 overs left in their innings. Valuable contributions at the end from George Wathen (18) and Will Robertshaw (19*) saw Heathfield Park to 215-5 from their 50 overs. Goddard (1-28) and Backhouse (1-61) both took one wicket a piece but the pick of Seaford’s bowlers was JP Smith who finished with figures of 3-47 from his 15 overs.

Heathfield Park would have been the happier of the two the sides at the tea break, as a poor 15 over period in the middle overs for Seaford ruined a lot of handwork that had been done early on.

Seaford’s run chase got off to the worst possible of starts as both openers were removed in the second over, Daniel James claiming both the wickets clean bowled to leave Seaford reeling at 5-2.

This brought Backhouse and skipper Ollie Smith to the crease who set about building a partnership to repair the early damage. All was going to plan up until the 19th over when Backhouse was adjudged lbw off of the bowling of Simon Briggs for 22, and when Mitchell Ellingham (1) followed soon after things were again looking bleak for Seaford at 65-4 after 23 overs. Despite the wickets falling at the other end Smith continued to play fluently and with the support of Callum Scott the pair moved the score on to 122 which included Smith bringing up his fifty. But true to form, two quick wickets once again fell as Smith was bowled by Briggs for a well made 56 and Bilesh Jayamanne was caught at cover without troubling the scorers off of the bowling of Wathen to once again set Seaford back. With 10 overs to go needing 90 to win the game, Zak Hearsey joined Scott in the middle. With a mixture of clean striking and hard running the pair pushed the scoreboard along at a good rate but never quite at the required rate to win the game. In the end it finished in a stalemate, with Seaford 12 short on a credible 203-6 from their 43 overs with Hearsey 29 not out and a fine 73 not out from Scott, which included 9 fours and 2 sixes. For Heathfield Park Wathen took one wicket and James took two but the pick was S Briggs who returned figures of 3-28 from his 8 overs.

Seaford took 14 points and Heathfield Park 16 points from their afternoons work. Despite the evenness of the draw, both sides will probably feel they could have claimed the win had they performed slightly better at the crucial moments. But for Seaford this must be viewed upon as a very much a positive result as they showed some good signs with both the bat and the ball for long periods of the game. Next weeks task will be to build on this and produce a complete performance at home to Lewes St Michaels.

East Sussex League round-up win this week’s Sussex Express

Battle edge home against Barcombe - slideshow - click here

Sussex sign Tredwell on load - click here