Tragic toll of coronavirus on Worthing care homes revealed

More than 30 deaths linked to coronavirus have happened outside hospital in Worthing, new figures show.

Although evidence shows Covid-19 deaths are falling nationally, experts say action came too late to prevent “avoidable loss of life” in care homes, where roughly four in 10 coronavirus-related fatalities have now been recorded.

Office for National Statistics data shows, in Worthing, 59 total deaths involving Covid-19 were provisionally registered up to May 16.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Of those, 35 occurred outside hospital – including 32 in care homes. A further three deaths occurred in hospices, other community establishments or elsewhere.

New figures have revealed the number of people who have died in connection with coronavirus in care homes

The figures include deaths that occurred up to May 8 which were registered up to eight days later.

It means at least nine further deaths outside hospital had been registered in Worthing up to May 16 than up to May 9, the data shows.

ONS figures are based on where Covid-19 is mentioned anywhere on the death certificate, including in combination with other health conditions.

The number of people who died of coronavirus in Worthing’s hospitals up to May 16 was 24, according to the ONS, one more than the week before.

Across England and Wales, there were roughly 39,071 coronavirus-related deaths up to May 16.

The latest figures show Covid-19 deaths fell nationally by more than a third in the space of a week, with 3,930 registered in the seven days to May 8, compared to 6,035 deaths the week before – a 35% decrease.

However, the proportion of coronavirus deaths taking place in care homes rose, meaning they now account for 42% of all Covid-19 fatalities.

The Health Foundation said the figures suggest that “action has come too late to stem the avoidable loss of life for care home residents, and social care staff”.

Chief executive Dr Jennifer Dixon said: “While no action plan could undo decades of political neglect, questions should be asked as to how many deaths could have been prevented had action been taken earlier.”

Sam Monaghan, chief executive of Methodist Homes, which runs 222 care homes and schemes in the UK, said there is a “stark disconnect” between the Government’s rhetoric on support for care homes and the reality.

He said: “Our fear since last week has been that with the easing of restrictions, we will see numbers of people infected in the general population increase with a knock-on effect to the vulnerability of those in the care sector.”

A Department of Health and Social Care spokeswoman said: “Every death from this virus is a tragedy and our deepest sympathies go out to the families who have sadly lost relatives.

“Supporting the social care sector throughout this pandemic is a priority. We are working around the clock to give the social care sector the equipment and support they need.”

Data reporting by Katie Williams.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.