Robin Van Creveld, runs The Community Chef, a social enterprise based in Sussex.
He shares a recipe for pea soup.
He said: "A quick and delicious spring soup. frozen peas are convenient to use and a good source of slow release carbohydrates."
Recipe serves 4
- 300g frozen peas or petit pois
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
- 500ml of made up vegetable or chicken stop 1 cube or 2 tsp
- 200ml milk
- salt and pepper
- Blanch the frozen peas in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water then drain again.
- Make 500ml of stock with boiling water.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onions over a medium heat with a pinch of salt. Add the chopped garlic and fry for a minute before adding the peas and stock.
- Bring this to the boil then add the milk and bring back up to the boil for two minutes.
- Remove from the heat blend until smooth with a hand blender.
- Season well with salt and pepper serve with a swirl of cream or yoghurt.
For pea and mint soup add a small bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped when you add the milk to keep it plant based, soak 50g of cashew nuts in 100ml of boiling water for 30 minutes and blend to a cream. For a richer soup use cream instead of milk.
A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.
Stay safe, and best wishes.