Happy days at Lewes races

Rouser 2013
Rouser 2013
Share this article

Lewes Racecourse closed in September, 1964, after operating for some 200 years. However, most of the original course, to the west of the town, still remains.

Lewes fell pray to an ending of finance by the British Racing Board.

Next year there will be a series of events to mark the 50th anniverary of the closure.

This photograph shows the 1951 Falmer Selling Plate race, with Rum leading the eventual winner Anglesey into the straight five furlongs out.