Lewes Racecourse closed in September, 1964, after operating for some 200 years. However, most of the original course, to the west of the town, still remains.
Lewes fell pray to an ending of finance by the British Racing Board and, despite the track administration making gallant attempts to weather the storm, it transpired to be merely a stay of execution.
Next year there will be a series of events to mark the 50th anniverary of the closure.
This remarkable photograph shows the 1951 Falmer Selling Plate race,
with Rum leading the eventual winner Anglesey into the straight five furlongs out.